Thursday 30 December 2010

Bye 2010!

It's the end of another year and I keep getting little pointers that I should reflect on my year on this blog. First by a colleague and good friend who's had more ups than downs and then by a certain someone who thinks I don't like her to be smart. I think your amazingly smart (see what I did there!)! And I like people to be who they are... ;)

So, I was actually on my way to writing another looooong post breaking the entire year down into small bits. But it suddenly struck me that I was focussing a lot on the negatives of 2010. A disastrous spring where especially missing the Thomas Cup finals due to an infected toe was taking up many words. The summer was only good for my one week training stint at Mr. Misbun Sideks place. And the "easy" super series in Denmark and France in the autumn where I was hoping for a breakthrough was terrible for me.

I was reading it through, started thinking and then I realised I probably should be happy with my 2010. I have seen a friend on the tour being struck by testicular cancer right after achieving one of the best results of his career. I have got to known a player whose own federation is working against him trying to make things as difficult as possible for him, just because he is trying to maximize the possiblity of developing his game in a different way than what they dictate. I've have seen players being out of competition for the entire year due to different injuries. I've even seen a fantastic player having to change nationality not once, but twice, to find a place where she can just focus on what most of us athletes want: to play badminton, enjoy it and get better at it.

(I don't know if any of these players are reading this, but if they are I just want to make sure they know I do honestly admire how they are not giving up, but keeps fighting for their right to be what they want to be and achieve what they dream of.)

So who am I to be so negative looking back at a year where I have:

- Made my first ever Grand Prix Gold Final
- Made my first ever National Championship Semifinal
- Won a second straight European Men's Team Championship Gold Medal
- Won Norwegian Int. for the third time and the Irish Int. for the first time
- Achieved a career high ranking of 31

And many many other great experiences has come my way this year. I've played matches in front of fantastic crowds all over the world. One of the best memories is very recently at the Copenhagen Masters just a few days back. I've also been involved in different ways promoting Solibad, a charity foundation, which has given me great pleasure. And last but not least I've begun a working relationship with two people I find highly inspirational.

Maybe the disappointments I suffered this year were tough, but they have all helped me towards where I am today. And where I am today is not that bad :) I'm ready to take on 2011 with lots of motivation and my starting point of the year is better than ever before.

So looking back at 2010 all I can say is thanks for the good and the bad times, it has all made me grow. Thanks to all of my friends, family and fans who have been supporting me in a fantastic manner. It is much appreciated. Really, it is.

I may not be looking back at 2010 as my best year ever, but I'm certainly looking forward to 2011 being exactly that!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do!" - Robert H. Schuller

Happy new year everyone! :)

1 comment:

Bernadin said...

Happy New Year...! :)