Thursday 10 April 2008

No European Championships and no Thomas Cup finals...

Hi all,

Time to report to you guys again, even though there is not much positive to report about right now. Came back from Finland sunday evening and my legs have been feeling like solid rocks ever since. Of course this has affected my efforts in training this week. My physical training sessions on monday and yesterday went perfectly fine, where as most of my on-court sessions in some ways have been unsatisfying. Too many ups and downs have made it hard to maintain a high level throughout the sessions. I tend to get annoyed when I feel tired in my legs as I find it hard to accept I can't move around court with my usual speed. For the last few days this has on some occasions ruined my ability to focuse and stay positive and therefore caused too many downperiods. Good thing is I've been able to work with myself mentally and got a grip of things again to make sure the session weren't a complete waste of time. If we just go one year back, maybe even less, training sessions like these would have been a total waste for me. So it's not all bad, even though I would prefer things to run smoothly all the time!

Today the danish Thomas Cup finals team has been announced. Unfortunately I'm not part of the team. It's not a big shock to me as my results after returning to competitve action cleary haven't been great. 3 first-round losses and 1 quarter-final is not impressive. That being said I still had a slight hope of getting a spot on the team if they chose to go with 5 mens singles just as they did in the qualifications rounds. Didn't happen though as they went for only 4 mens singles; Kenneth Jonassen, Peter Gade, Joachim Persson and Jan Ø. Jørgensen. Now I have to settle for a role of being a reserve along with another guy, Peter Mikkelsen. So if Peter Gade doesn't get fit for the finals (he is currently suffering with a broken rib, but chances of him being fit for the finals are quite high), me or Peter Mikklsen will go instead.

Another big event I will miss out on is the upcomming European Championships. Again only 4 mens singles from Denmark get to go and with Peter Gade out of it due to his rib-problems, coaches decided Peter Mikkelsen would be the better choice for the 4th spot. This gives Mikkelsen a chance to prove his worth on the big stage and show he's the one to go for if Gade doesn't get fit for the Thomas Cup finals. Nothing I can do about it, I'll just have to work really hard in training and try to prove that I'm fit enough to go... Not really focussing on this matter right now though as I believe Gade will be back in action for Thomas Cup. Most important for me right now is just to keep working hard to make sure I stay on track for getting back into the worlds top 50 where I belonged before my knee injury!
Can't help thinking this injury is the reason why I'm not playing both the Europeans and Thomas Cup finals... Anyway, I can't do anything about it, I'm sure my time will come!

My weekend will be quite busy as my sister is getting married tomorrow and all of saturday is booked for a VERY late christmas lunch! It's been postponed several times as it's been really hard to find a time that could fit in to everyones calendar, but we kept on trying and refused to cancel it. So christmas lunch on saturday it is! So don't expect me to update this blog in the weekend...

Lastly I just want to wish all of the danish team the best of luck for the Europeans. Team event starts on saturday with Denmark being the heavy favourite for the gold. Go Denmark Go!

All the best,

HK

3 comments:

szerin said...

Hey HK! Kinda gloomy post eh, felt a pang of sadness and bitterness for ya not being in the team for both tours.. An opportunity missed, but don't worry, there's plenty more to come! Importantly is keep improving..

Saw your match on youtube after Baili's comment, well.. No wonder you opposed rather fiercely against my note on lack of intelligent play in men's events.. You are one of those intelligence players!! I think Peter Gade is one too.. Well, you are so on the right track, strengths can be built, but intelligence are gifted.. :)

A lil too high the number of unforced errors made during the game eh.. :/

Baili Min said...

Just think of positive side...
No European Championships, no Thomas Cup, no Olympics this year, then you have more time for training, hanging out with friends, and/or just simply enjoying the life... You still have so many chances in the future. Your favorite player CHEN Hong can't play Asian Championships, Thomas Cup, nor Beijing Olympics(well, it's known that he should have great hope for Olympics, given fair play) so now he is happy with his wife :)

If I can be excused from study right now, I will be happy to drive to visit neighboring states to enjoy the spring time, lol.

But I will still have to face my final qualifying exam in May :(

HK said...

Hi szerin and baili.

You are both very right about your points. I will get many chances in the future, so I'm trying to focus on this, but it's easier said than done right now!

Thanks for the comments on my game against Persson:) Way too many unforced errors, but this was also only my second match after my injury, so I think that is the reason why.