Saturday 2 February 2008

Danish nationals...

The danish nationals is being played this week, but ufortunately without my participation. 3 weeks of training after a 4 month break isn't enough for me to feel completely fit for playing a tournament. I'm sure I can play 1 or 2 matches, but not sure how my knee will react if I was to play more matches. So I decided it was best to skip this event and focus my training on being ready for the teammatch on monday and then Thomas Cup on the 12th this month.
Due to the nationals many of the players I usually train with is not around, actually Peter Gade is the only one I can train with right now. Not too bad when it's him though :-) I did some training for 1½ hours with him on thursday, which was a very good session. Later in the day I had a massage and then went on to do my strenght training. Yesterday I took the day off as my body felt tired and I knew the next few days will be very hard for me, so I could do with a little break.
Today I'm going to train with a chinese coach called Lian. He works at the national training center and has a tremendous knowledge on footwork and technical training. He is an amazing a coach so I really look forward to this session with him. Peter Gade was supposed to join us, but he had to cancel just a few minutes ago. After the training session I will be watching the danish nationals on TV. Will be interesting to see how my friends and sparring partners get on.
Tomorrow I'll have a very hard training with former world champion Peter Rasmussen, former world no. 3 Anders Boesen and former danish international Niels-Christian Kaldau! Not a bad crew is it?!? :-) They all still play in the danish badmintonleague so they are still playing at a very decent level. I will for sure have my work cut out playing with these guys!! It's good that I have the possibility to train with such high-quality players now that everyone else is playing the nationals. I'm positive playing with these guys will make me feel ready for the teammatch on monday evening, which by the way will be live on danish television. I will get on here and post a lttle about how my first competitive match since 31st of september(!) went on as quickly as I can...

Thats all for now,

HK

6 comments:

Muhammad Arshad said...

go luck hope u sucess in your career.Beat all the asian players.


from malaysia die hard supporter.

HK said...

thanks a lot my friend, hopefully i will be able to help breaking the chinese domination some day!

szerin said...

I must say, it -is- a tough challenge with all the support and advantages they obviously have over European players, y'know (sponsorship, more tournaments, more players variation), not impossible though.. ;)

Why and when did u pick up badminton? Of all the cool sports popular in Europe, why badminton? Im really curious!..You have ppl to spar with you when you were young? Training must be sorta dull eh, as i think most kids would rather join soccer/ some other sports..

HK said...

I definetly agree with you that it is a difficult challenge! But that just makes it more exciting right? :)

I picked up badminton at the age of 5. My family moved to a new city and we recieved a flyer from the local badmintonclub about some youth training on saturdays. Both of my sisters wanted to go and as the yougest child I just wanted to join them!

Badminton is quite popular in Denmark, I think its the no. 3 sport here after soccer and handball. So obviously a lot of people are playing and the club I played in for the first few years had a lot of excellent players at my age, so I had some good sparring. Also the older players were very helpful. But when I turned 18 I had to change clubs to get better sparring and better coaches and last year I changed clubs again!!

You can read a lot more about my "history" of badminton soon on badzine.info. There will be an article on me within the next week. I'll let you know here on my blog when the article is up!

By the way I also started playing soccer at the age of 6 and trained a lot. But I couldnt do both and found badminton more fun to play, so chose to quit soccer when I was about 13.

Feel free to ask if there is anything else you want to know!

szerin said...

Malaysia diehard supporter supportng you eh? Ha-ha... Im not on any sides, basically just love to watch the game, started playing when i was 9.. There, i thought i started very early,but you, at 5?! Hmph!

I made a good progress in junior tournaments and was Malaysia Junior Grand Prix ladies' doubles Champion in 2001.. :) But I quitted in 2002 for my studies though.. Blearghh..

Oh k, Denmark it is..! Ireland's the one lack of players, public interest of any sort on badminton.. Ha-ha..

Eyah, you have some good players there in Denmark, and to be under Kenneth Jonassen's tutelage is definitely cool eh, him being ranked 5th in the world currently.. :) How's training and life been treating you? Watched diehard4 during your knee recuperation period? Haha.. What happened to your knee anyway? Most athletes that suffer from knee injury seldom able to go far thereafter(i think), glad it is -so far so good- for you..

HK said...

I had a tumor in my knee. So I had to undergo surgery to get it removed.

We noticed it becuase my knee kept swelling up after playing. In the beginning it wasn't bad at all, but as time went by it just got worse. After I played a tournament in the end of september it swelled up so badly that I couldn't even walk, had to use crutches. After this I went to some examinations and test at the hospital and they found this tumor. Luckily it wasn't infected with cancer or anything, so it was pretty simple just to remove it.

Your right about lots of athletes with knee injuries has had a hard time getting back to top level competition, but some has done it and they make me believe I can do it as well!